onsdag 27 maj 2015

Mare families

Haflinger stallions get a name that begins with the same letter as the name of their sire. In that way the breeders keep track of which line a certain stallion belongs to. The mares most often get the same initial letter as their dams. In some German provinces also the mares get the same initial letter as their sire. I Italien every year has it's own letter, so that a certain year all mare names begin with an A, the next year with a B etc. etc. Earlier this system was used also when naming haflinger stallions in Italy. 

Most people who talk about pedigrees know the stallions and the stallion lines very well, but as a breeder, I am of the firm belief that good mare families are even more important. I will therefore present mares who thanks to their offspring has put a "stamp" on the breed. 

Mara born in 1994, breeder Bruno Kremp, Germany with her colt Eldfuxens Waliant by Eldfuxens Wacker. Mara is part of the mare family of Bonny. Photo: Kerstin Dreborg

(c) Kerstin Dreborg 2015

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Om mig

Mitt foto
Eldfuxen is the name of my stud farm, and my private blog. Eldfuxens Wacker is my stallion.